Henry F. Miller pianos have a long history and a reputation for high quality and artistic design.
Henry F. Miller was a classically-trained pianist who started his piano company in 1863 in Wakefield, Massachusetts, after working for several renowned piano manufacturers.
Henry F. Miller pianos were endorsed by many professional musicians of the late 1800s and early 20th century, and were admired for their rich sound, fine craftsmanship, and ornate frames.
Henry F. Miller’s five sons joined the business in 1884 and incorporated the company as Miller & Sons, producing upright, grand, and square pianos, as well as a pedal piano that featured a full pedalboard similar to an organ.
Henry F. Miller became a division of the Continental Piano Company in the 1920s, which was later bought by Winter & Co in 1945. The company moved from Boston to Memphis in 1951.
Born into a privileged family, Henry F. Miller spent much of his early life working in shops of prominent makers like Brown & Allen, W. P. Emerson, and others. With a superior education and substantial mechanical aptitude, Henry F. Miller left Emerson’s firm in 1863 to start building pianos under his own name.
Henry F. Miller built superior instruments and his firm enjoyed instant success. In the 19th Century, Boston was home to a large population of old world craftsmen who had immigrated to the United States from the old country. These craftsmen possessed amazing skill in woodworking and piano building, and Henry F. Miller was in a position to take full advantage of this amazingly skilled workforce.
Henry F. Miller, Sr. died in 1884 and the firm was taken over by his 5 sons Henry F. Miller, Jr., Walker H. Miller, James C. Miller, Edwin C. Miller and William T. Miller. The firm produced a full line of upright, square, and grand pianos. They also built a line of “Pedal Pianos” which were conventional pianos equipped with a full pedal board to aide in organ instruction and practice. By the turn-of-the-century the firm had discontinued square grand pianos and increased their upright and grand piano production. Player pianos were introduced shortly after the turn-of-the-century as well. The firm also built pianos under the “Trowbridge” brand name. The Henry F. Miller firm enjoyed a reputation for building truly exceptional pianos.